Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Life Changes in a Split Second

We got word today that my mom has lung cancer and that there is nothing they can do for her. She is 88 years old and only has one lung. She had TB when she was young and the treatments ruined one of her lungs. She has led a wonderful, full life and has been living without my dad for five years now.

I now that I feel worse for myself than I do for her. She is a strong Christian woman who has lived her faith to the letter and knows where she is going once she leaves here. I think she is anxious to get there. I, of course, don't want her suffer but I think it is inevitable.

I'm going to use my blog as therapy for me while I go through this. I live in California and my mom is in Maine. I'm going home to be with her until she passes. I want to be with her every day I can. My husband understands and agrees that this sacrifice will help me move on from this in a positive way. I don't want to spend my life wishing I had left CA and gone home.

I'm going to try to keep my Etsy shop open. It will give me something to do while my mom sleeps so many hours a day but she will come first and if I need to close it for awhile and start again, then so be it.

I hope that people will follow the blog and will comment. I will need help from those who have gone before me and maybe I can be a help to someone who is heading in that direction.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're in my thoughts, I'm so sorry...

Unknown said...

My heart goes out to you and your family in this time of need.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear this. Two years ago my mother passed away from cancer, which had spread all over. She lived in a different city than I did-I also found out at about the same time that my husband had cancer as well. I was so stretched going to the hospital because my husband was there-then traveling to be with my mother in hospice. Plus, I had been recently promoted at work and had to con't with that. Just pace yourself and take a deep breath.